Tuesday, October 23, 2007

state fair

well, here i am once again with an online blog. blogs are not easy for someone whose comfort zone is squarely in the realm of 'privacy' especially in regard to personal things, but i do enjoy using this outlet for lighthearted banter...and for reading about all of YOUR deepest thoughts. heh heh.
the state fair is here once again and anyone who knows me well knows that i lovelovelove the state fair. i have been attending the fair every year for most of my life. (i passed the year we took the kids to disneyland, lest their childhood memory confuse disneyland with the state fair. yikes, that would be dreadful). yes, i know it is a dirty mess and that most of the food booths are probably one-health-department-inspection-away from being shut down, but there is just something about the fair!
one of my greatest fair memories occurred when i was about 8 years old. i BEGGED my dad for a monkey-on-a-stick toy the entire time i was at the fair. he kept saying, 'no' and i kept looking at that monkey-on-a-stick with the longing of a dog for a bone. it was late at night, and we were preparing to leave, when my dad took me aside and walked me to the vendor. when he bought me that monkey-on-a-stick i felt unbridled joy and completely loved. is it not amazing what the smallest act of kindness can do?
the fair for me now is much less about the rides and much more about the sights and smells. i love visiting the animals, taking in the art exhibits and buying a cinnamon roll (which i do as a custom once a year).
if you are reading this post...thanks for stopping by. If you have visited the state fair tell me about your favorite memory, too.

3 comments:

Seven's Heaven said...

I wish I had a good State Fair memory. I actually think my favorite fairs have been when we'd visit the family farm in North Dakota. They take 4H to a whole new level and my aunt still wins baking ribbons. It's just a different lifestyle that I really long for!

janet lynne nevins said...

scones with powdered sugar...mmmm...

Marie said...

I'm glad you're blogging again. My state fair memory is when I passed by the porta potty and the door was cracked open and I caught a glimpse of my 7th grade boyfriend peeing. I made up a poem about it.