Tuesday, September 4, 2012

When Conviction Wins

Four years ago someone wrote these words (part of a larger article entitled Christians Should Not Choose Evil), which mirror my conviction with this presidential election. 

As much as I enjoy politics, I have remained somewhat quiet during this election because I have come up against great resilience from my Christian brothers and sisters when they find out I am probably going to abstain from voting for President this election.  I've been the recipient of everything from the wide-eyed stare to a verbal lashing.  I believe everyone should vote their conscience, but I have been baffled by the 'hip, hip hoorays' for Romney from friends and family with whom I usually share a like-mindedness.  Many a day I have wondered what it is I am missing that others are seeing.  Nevertheless, I can't bring myself to join the parade even when enticed by streamers and confetti.  I just don't find him party-worthy (in more ways than one).

I love the political process.  During the primary this year I wore my "I voted today" sticker with pride, as I always do.  If I don't vote it will be the first time that I haven't voted for President since I was able to do so.  It will be a very sad election for me, but at the end of the day I need to lie my head on the pillow that is on my own bed and stand by the conviction of my Spirit.

With that said - here is an excerpt of the words of  J. Robert Lancaster (underlining mine) - and some food for thought:

"I am not convinced that Christians need to vote for the lesser of two evils. First, because that is not the way we make most other significant decisions. When seeking to find a godly spouse we rarely fall back on this kind of logic. When faced with such an unpleasant choice we would likely keep looking, even if it meant staying unmarried. Every man does eventually marry a “fallen” (in sin) woman though I doubt she would appreciate being told that he married her because she was not as evil as the other girl he had been considering.

The second reason Christians need not vote for the lesser of two evils is because Christians, despite the common belief, have no obligation to vote. In fact, it is the false belief that this obligation exists which often seems to force such a “lesser of two evil” choice. This is not to say that Christians should not or cannot vote, but abstaining from an election cycle does not make one a bad Christian.

Christians are members of two kingdoms and our ultimate allegiance is to the kingdom of God. We live and participate in the kingdom of this world but this is not where our hope and salvation lie. Yet a vote in this presidential election, for either of the major candidates at least, is being billed as a statement about who you are going to place your hope in. When an election is being cast in this particular light, why do Christians feel the need to vote for the lesser of two evils? Shouldn’t we at least consider not voting at all?

...Yet nowhere in Scripture are we commanded to vote nor are we called to choose between two evils when choosing neither is a possible action. Any vote in this election seems to be a vote that will conflict with Christian principles. For that reason I have decided not to vote in this Presidential election. A vote for the lesser of two evils is still a vote for evil."

(Thanks for listening.  It was either this or writing about my nightmare last night which involved death and paint choices.  eek!)

No comments: