Sunday, March 29, 2009

Earth Day Dumbness

I will fully admit, at the beginning of this post, that perhaps my Christian heart needs some balance when considering the care of our earth. I don't litter, but I also don't recycle. I'm not proud of the fact that I don't recycle, I'm just too lazy to do it. (I'm thankful I don't live in a state where they tell me I must do it, because I don't want the government in my garbage, thank you.) However, this notion of an 'Earth Day' and specifically last night's 'Earth Hour' from 8:30-9:00 is just too much. I happily turned my home's lights on during that hour as a rebellious "NO" to all things 'earthy'. I'm typically the one in my house that walks around and turns all of the lights off in the rooms we aren't in. I'd like to say that I do that to decrease my carbon footprint, but the truth is that I do it to decrease my electric bill. I actually do think that we should take care of the earth, but I also think that God's plan is going to come to fruition in HIS TIME whether we have a hole in the ozone or not. This is probably the crux of the problem for me. I see people who are preoccupied with saving the earth as being under the impression that we CAN save the earth, when the reality is that the earth...and everything in it...is in God's hands. Should we want to leave a beautiful planet for future generations? Of course. But we shouldn't be under the illusion that by 'being green' our world will last longer. Which is why I often see red when it comes to being green.

1 comment:

Marie said...

I couldn't figure out what the heck you were talking about in your message to me. Now I know. I didn't even know earth hour was happening. Our lights were on. I think we were watching a basketball game. :)